When it comes to your career, you more than likely have a few goals in mind that you’d like to achieve. You could be looking to bag that promotion, learn a new skill, or get the pay rise you’ve been after. Whether your goals are short-term or long-term, here at Auto Skills we believe that with the right action plan and a good dose of motivation, anything is possible!
With that in mind, here are a few tips to help you on your way to achieving your career goals when it comes to your automotive career.
Make them SMART
You’ve most likely heard of SMART goals. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Bound.
- Specific – Be clear about what you want to achieve. Being vague won’t get you anywhere, so make sure your goals are clearly defined.
- Measurable – Include amounts, dates and other measurable achievements. For example, if your goal is sales focused, exactly how many sales do you want to have achieved and by when?
- Attainable – Make sure the goals you’re setting are realistic. Find the right balance between something that you know will be easy to achieve, and something that you feel is impossible.
- Relevant – Your goals should be relevant to the direction you want to take your career in.
- Time Bound – Give yourself a deadline and work towards this. This gives you something to work towards and, if all goes to plan, something to look forward to!
Break them down
If you want to achieve something big, sometimes it can seem a little daunting. So why not break down your goals into smaller, more achievable chunks? This avoids the feeling of being overwhelmed and, when you’re able to tick things of one at a time, will make you feel as though you’re making progress.
Write them down
Writing down your goals can instantly make them feel more real. And, once you have written them down, make sure to keep them somewhere visible. It’s no good writing them down and then leaving them in a drawer or the back of the notebook. Put them somewhere you’ll see them often, whether that’s on your desk, next to your bed, on the fridge, or even make it your phone background!
Don’t be afraid of failure
You might come across setbacks and roadblocks when working to achieve your goals. Don’t let these deter you. Instead, look at everything as a learning experience and work out what you can do differently next time.
If you need a helping hand in reaching your career goals within the automotive industry, get in touch today!